This is a real super soup, packed with nutrients from the spinach, the avocado, the carrots and the lime. And all vitamins are kept more or less intact as the vegetables are pureed raw, and then blended with vegetable stock which is boiled separately. It takes not more than a few short minutes to prepare in a high speed blender and it comes out creamy and absolutely delicious.Serving it with the pumpkin seed mousse adds on about three minutes of preparation time (plus ten minutes for soaking), but makes it even more of a treat, and ups the nutrients further – pumpkin seeds are an amazing source of magnesium and zinc for example, two minerals which are very important for the immune system.I am sure you will love this soup, and your kids too if you have them. If your children are not used to spicy flavours, perhaps just use a little less ginger and garlic the first time you serve it.
- THE PUMPKIN SEED MOUSSE
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, soaked in hot water for ten (or so) minutes
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 tbsp tamari (or other gluten free soy sauce)
- THE SOUP
- 1 litre of hot high quality vegetable stock
- 3 large carrots, copped into pieces
- 3 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, of course)
- 1 thumb size ginger (no need to peel)
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander, a little more to garnish
- Juice from ½ lime, more to serve if you like
- Start with the mousse. Remove the soaking water from the pumpkin seeds, add the avocado, lime juice and tamari (or other gluten-free soy sauce) and blend it together until you have a thick, chunky mousse. Set aside.
- Then make the soup: Heat/prepare the vegetable stock in a pot and in the meantime chop the carrots into pieces and add them to your blender together with the spinach, avocado, garlic, ginger and coriander. Add a little bit of the hot vegetable stock and blend on full speed until you have a completely smooth vegetable puree. Then slowly add the rest of the vegetable stock and the lime juice and blend for another minute or two (if not enough space in your blender you can merge the soup mix with the remaining vegetable stock in a separate large bowl and stir carefully).
- Serve immediately, with a spoonful of avocado/pumpkin seed mousse in each bowl, and some extra lime on the side. Garnish with a little coriander and a few pumpkin seeds.