If you ask me, this is the ultimate veggie burger. Bursting with flavour and perfect with the classic burger condiments like guacamole, slaw and pickled onion. I hope you like them!
- Spice mix:
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ˝ tsp cinnamon
- A small pinch cayenne
- A pinch sweet paprika powder
- ˝ cup cashew nuts
- 1 slice gluten-free bread (approx. 40 grams)
- 1 normal size red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 generous handful fresh coriander
- 1 can kidney beans (250 grams chickpeas)
- 1 can chickpeas (250 grams chickpeas)
- 1 small can sweetcorn (150 grams corn)
- Olive oil to fry
- First of all, in a small bowl, thoroughly combine all spices into a spice mix. Set 1 tsp of the spice mix aside for later.
- In a food processor, run the cashew nuts and the bread for about half a minute until you have a fine flour. Then add the red onion, the garlic, the fresh coriander and the spice mix (do not add the tsp you’ve set a side). Stop the food processor when all is fully blended into a sticky dough. Move to a mixing bowl.
- Rinse the corn, chickpeas and kidney beans well and add them to the mixing bowl. Using your hands, blend it all together breaking a few of the beans in the process, though leave most of them intact for texture.
- Cover a plate or two with a baking sheet. With wet hands, form patties and place them on the plate. Place the plates in the fridge for at least half hour, ideally longer. It is a good idea to leave overnight.
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees. Transfer the burgers to an oven tray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping them over at half-time.
- Heat up a frying pan to medium heat with a little olive oil. Sprinkle over a little of the set aside spice mix and fry for a minute or two on both side so there is a little crust. Serve with condiments (e.g. [url href="http://planetplantbased.com/?s=guacamole"]guacamole [/url], pickled onions , carrot coriander slaw, and cashew cream.