prep: 15 minutes
cooking: approx. 25 minutes (depending on the cooking time of the rice)
200g semi-brown Arborio rice (or any risotto rice that you like. Avoid parboiled brown rice) *
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small brown onion, diced
1 small red beet, finely grated
800-900ml vegetable stock
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Planet Plant-Based cashew butter
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
optional: 1 Planet Plant-Based red beet wrap, finely sliced
1. Start by warming up 900ml vegetable stock. Keep it simmering throughout the whole process.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Fry onions on medium until translucent, then turn the hob to medium-high and add brown rice. Toast for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Add white wine and wait for alcohol to fully evaporate before starting adding the first ladleful of hot vegetable stock. Youíll know itís time to add broth when you canít smell alcohol anymore.
3. Cook the risotto on medium adding a ladleful of broth at a time, waiting for the liquid to be almost fully absorbed before adding more. Stir constantly. Make sure it doesnít catch on the bottom! A good risotto needs to be on a constant but slow boil. Check for cooking times on the package, semi-brown rice risotto should cook in 20-25 minutes.
4. Grate the beetroot using a box grater or a microplane. A couple minutes before the end of cooking time add the beets to the risotto pot and stir to warm through. Season with 1/2 tsp salt or to taste.
5. When risotto is done remove from the heat and add nutritional yeast, cashew butter and a crack of black pepper. Stir until creamy.
6. Slice one Planet Plant-Based Beetroot Wrap as thinly as possible. Arrange it into two nest shapes, place on top of individual servings of risotto and serve immediately.
*If you prefer brown rice but want to shorten cooking time you can soak rice overnight, drain very well and make risotto
following the same directions. Always check for doneness after 15-20 minutes. It wonít be as creamy though, because soaking will remove most of the starch that makes risotto creamy.