This potato salad is a classic for me on almost any buffet table. It is easy to prepare and benefits from a day or a few hours in the fridge.
- THE MAYONNAISE DRESSING
- ½ clove garlic (half of a small clove)
- ½ tsp finely shredded horseradish (optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt (more to taste)
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- THE SALAD
- 8 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 large red onion,finely chopped
- 1 large bunch (a large handful) dill, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup small capers from a jar
- First of all, make the mayonnaise. Place all ingredients apart from the olive oil in a blender and run on full speed for half a minute, until the flavours have blended well. Then very, very slowly, while blender is still on full speed, pour in the olive oil. Take your time, as the longer it takes, the easier it will be for the mayonnaise to thicken. Taste, add more salt if needed, and place in a cup in the fridge while you prepare the salad.
- Chop and boil the potatoes. Make sure you don't over boil them, rather take them from the stove half a minute too early. Let them cool off for a few minutes before adding the sliced red onion, the chopped dill, the capers and the mayo. Give it a toss to make sure all is evenly divided.
- Serve immediately, or leave in the fridge for a few hours.