It is asparagus season in Bavaria and itís really a huge thing here. Adding this particular topping to a mix of the white and green kind is by far my favorite way to serve them!
- The asparagus
- 1 bunch white asparagus (400 to 500 grams)
- 1 bunch green asparagus (400 to 500 grams)
- 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- The breadcrumb topping
- 1 medium sized gluten-free white baguette (or other
- chewy white bread. Obviously doesn't have to be gluten free if you're not sensitive)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 handful hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ĺ tbsp nutritional yeast (if you're not vegan, you can use Parmesan)
- Turn the oven to 200 degrees. Chop off the asparagus ends and make sure they are somewhat evenly sized (if not halve any thicker ones lengthwise).
- In a large oven tray, add the olive oil and asparagus turning them in the oil a few times to make sure they are all properly coated. Then add a few sprinkles of salt and also some freshly cracked black pepper. Place in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes until they are cooked throughout, though still a little crunchy and a little brown on top.
- Run the baguette in a food processor until you have fine bread crumbs. Set a side.
- Crush the garlic, chop the nuts and the basil. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium to high heat and then quickly add the breadcrumbs, garlic, basil, hazelnuts and stir vigorously for a minute or so until all is heated through and a little golden (make sure it doesn't burn!). Add a little salt and pepper before setting the mix aside. Pour it over the asparagus once they are done and serve immediately.