Sweet potatoes, kale, cinnamon, cranberries and saffron – it doesn’t get more Christmas than this. For lunch or dinner, on its own, as a side dish or on a buffet table. This filling salad is really versatile.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed but not peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ˝ tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 stems of rosemary
- 0.2 grams saffron
- 1 cup cooked buckwheat or quinoa (cooked according to instructions)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- ˝ cup dried cranberries
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes in an oven tray and drizzle over one of the olive oil tablespoons. Sprinkle over the salt and the cinnamon. Use your hands to make sure the cinnamon, the olive oil and the salt are fully covering each sweet potato piece. Place the rosemary stems over the sweet potatoes and place the tray in the oven. Bake until soft throughout and a bit crusty on top; 20 to 45 minutes depending on oven.
- In the meantime cook the buckwheat or the quinoa according to instructions and chop the kale. Heat up a frying pan to medium heat, add the remaining olive oil, the saffron, the cooked buckwheat/quinoa and the chopped kale. Stir while frying for about three minutes until the kale is starting to soften and the mix is becoming a little yellow from the saffron.
- Place the sweet potatoes and the kale/grain mix in a bowl and add a little salt if needed. Garnish with the thinly sliced onion and the cranberries before serving.