This salad is packed with many different ingredients to love. Fragrant juiciness from the marinated tofu, slight bitterness from the endive, sturdiness from the roasted potatoes, sweetness from the pear and crunchiness from the toasted hazelnuts. Its warm, filling and nourishing. I hope you’ll enjoy it!
Filling salad with lots and lots of yummy stuff
- THE MARINADE
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- A small handful fresh thyme, finely chopped (or use dry, approximately ½ tbsp)
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- A little fresh pepper
- THE SALAD
- 1 small package of firm plain tofu, 200 grams
- 8 small potatoes, halved or chopped into bit size chunks.
- 1 handful hazelnuts, roughly chopped/halved
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 endive, sliced lengthways
- 1 small pear, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- A little more olive oil
- A little more salt
- A little more fresh pepper
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees. Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Carefully wash and chop the potatoes (don't peel them) and place them in an oven tray. Drizzle over a little olive oil, sprinkle over a little salt and then place in the oven.
- Press out as much liquid from the tofu as possible, then slice it and place in a small oven tray. Pour over the marinade and turn the tofu pieces a few times making sure they are properly coated. Place in the oven next to the potatoes. Please note: The oven trays for the tofu and the potatoes need to both fit in the oven at the same time, otherwise place in the same oven tray, but one of them on a 'tray shape' folded piece of foil, to avoid the marinade to flavour the potatoes. The potatoes and the tofu should be in the oven for about the same amount of time - approximately 20 minutes - or until the potatoes are soft.
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat and toast the hazelnuts for about half a minute to a minute - they should go a little brown. Set aside.
- Slice up the red onion, pear and endive and add to a salad bowl with the spinach. When the potatoes are ready, add those too, plus a tiny little bit of olive oil (not much, half a tbsp should be enough), a little salt and freshly cracked pepper. Give it a toss before adding the tofu and the hazelnuts. If there is anything left of the marinade in the oven tray (most of it will have evaporated in the oven though), you can pour it into a small bowl and serve it on the side. Serve immediately.